Friday, August 5, 2011

"That's the Stuff You Gotta Watch" by Mose Allison

Rachel update 16-May-2017:  I found a "Best of Mose Allison" playlist on YouTube and it has this song included:

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1abdjPLI8M

Original Post:

I have a story to go with this song: my grandfather was friends with Cliff Peterson who owned the Hi-Fi Shop in Ogden, Utah in the '60s and started the first FM station (KBOC) in Ogden.  He gave my grandfather a Reel-to-Reel tape with hours of music on it.  (If I remember correctly it was one of those very thin, 3,600 foot tapes that could record 3 hours on each side at 3-3/4 in/sec.)

That tape contained this song but I had no idea who the artist was.  Finally, in the 80's I took a Cassette Tape with the song on it to one of the DJ's at the The University of Utah's KUER radio station and he was able to tell me that it was Mose Allison.  I bought a Best of Mose Allison CD and now love many of the songs on that CD.  Mose Allison will likely be making more appearances on this list.

YouTube: Unfortunately I cannot find a version of this song by Mose Allison on YouTube.  I will see if I can make one myself, but until then there is a fun version of this song from a 78 RPM record below.  Also if you click on the "Best of Mose Allison" link above it will take you to Amazon where you can hear a short sample of the song.

Alternate version by Buddy & Ella Johnson: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kWfhrMeXBI

Note: there is a brief mention of Cliff Peterson, The Hi-Fi Shop, and KBOC on this web page: http://www.audiocircuit.com/DIY/Solid-State-Amplifiers/Material:Solid-State-Amplifier-Kits/Alaskan-Audio

No comments:

Post a Comment