Sunday, November 2, 2014

"Me and My Shadow" by The Mills Brothers

Album my Grandpa bought me when I was very sick as a kid

Note: I'm (Rachel) finishing this post almost 4 years in the future.

That morning I found my favorite cat ever dead behind our garage.  I believe I had never cried that much before in my life before.  And I cried for days afterwards.  I fear that being a black cat on Halloween was extremely bad luck for her and us.

In retrospect it may have been because I was self-medicating at that point.  I had been taking a phyto-estrogen most of that year, in an attempt to develop breasts.  I felt like I had developed small breasts at that point.  I suspect that the estrogen had given me more emotions as well.

Anyway, I still miss our Shadow to this day.  She was so tiny, but just so fierce.  She was obviously a tiny cat, but when you picked her up you realized she was all fur.  But the way she used to get up on the back of the chairs like she was the Queen of the House.

She was so fierce she would go after Grizzly our huge male cat in this blitz attack.  (Grizzly is so big I have to use bothn hands to pick him up.)  It was so funny!

I'm crying again now, I miss her so much...



Anyway, Sue used to sing this sing to shadow.  And the Mills Brothers album ("MMMM... The Mills Brothers") that has this song also has a special memory for me.  When I was young I had been very sick for a significant amount of time and so one night my grandpa took me down to Gibson's, just a block away on 36th Street, and bought me that album.

I've been sick like that again this year (2018) and been pretty sick for most of the last 5 months.

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ds8FqVse1SY

No comments:

Post a Comment